Monday, October 25, 2010

Grinch-ier Attitude


I’ve noticed lately that ever since College, I notice less the coming of Christmas season. It’s like every time I hear people mentioning Christmas, or presents, or wish-lists, I tend to stop and think for a moment then ask myself, “What’s up with them?”

But then, I would change the question once it starts to hit me. What’s up with me? Am I the only person in the world who doesn’t know that Christmas is fast approaching?

I really don’t know if it’s just me or is it because of my coming of age or whatever process I’m undergoing. The point is I haven’t really been looking forward to celebrating Christmas anymore. Of course as a child, I was one of the millions who believe that Santa Claus exists. I always hanged a sock with my letter requesting for a toy or candies from Santa two months before Christmas day. Although I never left him any cookies and milk, I always got what I asked for. After realizing that Santa is just my parents in disguise, I stopped hanging my Christmas sock and stopped being excited about what present I will get under the Christmas tree.

Maybe it’s because I realized that Christmas is not just another excuse to get gifts or gain some cash. Ever since I started going to college, I’ve been preoccupied with things which are, let’s say, more practical. I’ve been gobbled up by schoolwork, my career in the future, friends, and extra-curricular activities that I have forgotten the usual routine I once had in my childhood every time the “ber” months arrive.

I guess it does come with age, the thrill of Christmas approaching is now gone because I have come to the moment in my life when I wouldn’t believe in Santa Claus anymore, there are no reindeer that fly, no surprise gift under the Christmas tree at Christmas morning, and magic does not exist.

… … …

I like Christmas. It’s the best and happiest season especially for kids. But I guess we need to see that once we grow up, we should know that it’s not merely about gifts and cash, but more of a special day of commemorating one of the most special icons we Christians believed in. Whether we are kids who love presents, or young adults who are always busy, we need to remember that Christmas is also a time for spending with your family and some moment with Jesus. Even though I don’t feel that Christmas is near I should still remember to celebrate it for the real essence why it is celebrated.

2 comments:

Camsie Ventura said...

i want a happy Christmas this year...

Unknown said...

i'm hoping for one too :)